Skin tags are common skin growths that can be a nuisance, especially when they appear in highly visible areas or become irritated. If you’ve been dealing with skin tags and are looking for a non-invasive and effective method to remove them, cryotherapy may be the solution you’ve been seeking. In this blog, we’ll explore how cryotherapy can be used to eliminate those bothersome skin tags.
What Are Skin Tags?
Skin tags, scientifically known as acrochordons, are small, soft, benign growths that usually appear on the neck, armpits, groin, or areas where skin rubs against skin or clothing. They are typically flesh-colored and may vary in size and shape.
Cryotherapy is a medical procedure that uses extreme cold to remove or destroy abnormal or unwanted tissue, including skin tags. In this context, it’s often referred to as cryosurgery. Here’s how it works…
How it works
1. Freezing Agent: Cryotherapy for skin tag removal involves using a freezing agent, most commonly liquid nitrogen. Liquid nitrogen is extremely cold and, when applied to the skin tag, causes the cells to freeze and ultimately die.
2. Application: Our dermatologists, will use a specialized device to apply the liquid nitrogen directly to the skin tag. The cold temperature quickly freezes the tissue, which may result in a stinging or burning sensation during the procedure.
3. Cell Destruction: The freezing causes the cells within the skin tag to break down and die. Over time, the dead tissue will naturally slough off.
4. Healing Process: As the treated area heals, the skin tag will shrink and eventually fall off. The process typically takes a few weeks.
Advantages of Cryotherapy for Skin Tag Removal
Using cryotherapy to remove skin tags offers several advantages:
1. Non-Invasive: Cryotherapy is a non-invasive procedure, meaning it doesn’t require incisions or stitches, making it less painful and risky compared to other methods.
2. Quick Procedure: The actual cryotherapy treatment for skin tags is usually swift and can be performed during a single office visit.
3. Minimal Scarring: Cryotherapy typically results in minimal scarring, especially when compared to surgical removal methods.
4. Effective: Cryotherapy is an effective method for removing skin tags, and it is generally safe when performed by a trained healthcare provider.
Cautions and Considerations
While cryotherapy is a relatively safe and effective procedure for skin tag removal, there are a few cautions and considerations to keep in mind:
1. Pain and Discomfort: The freezing process can be uncomfortable, with some experiencing stinging or burning sensations during the procedure.
2. Scarring: Although minimal, there may still be some scarring or discoloration at the treatment site.
3. Who performs the treatment: It is extremely important you have a medical professional such as a dermatologist carry out this treatment due to the worry of the skin tag being cancerous. A lot of beauticians can now perform cryotherapy and we have had a few patients come to us where the skin tag has been removed but it was actually cancerous! Our dermatologists will check the skin tag is not cancerous before removal.
Cryotherapy is a cool and convenient method for removing skin tags, offering an effective way to get rid of these common skin growths without the need for invasive surgery. If you have skin tags that are bothering you, consulting a dermatologist or healthcare professional about cryotherapy could be the step toward smoother, tag-free skin that you’ve been looking for. Just remember to discuss your options and potential risks with a medical expert before proceeding with the treatment.
To book in with one of our dermatologists please call 01202 702827.